OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The Department of Communications (DCO) objectives are to :
- Lead the development of the corporate communications plan, drive prioritization and ‘right-size' effort with expected impact for WHO;
- Position WHO as the authoritative and trusted voice on health at the global level through working with technical departments to develop strategies to amplify WHO's normative work;
- Lead WHO media outreach, incl. crisis/ emergency communication with input from technical departments as well as across all 3 levels;
- Drive all communication to the general public as well as responding to media enquiries;
- Lead on global advocacy (e.g. health campaigns, public health information, donor visibility for resource mobilization);
- Provide digital global production capacity & expertise to support all levels of the organization.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Manages the social media and media monitoring team in delivering its objectives through efficient management to optimize deliverables in line with the mandate of the Organization.
- Develops and monitors work plans and budgets for the team's activities and follows up on the implementation of planned activities. Conducts monitoring and evaluation of the specific field of work and conducts timely reporting for decision-makers.
- Provides guidance and works closely with counterparts in technical departments across the Organization and liaises with external counterparts as appropriate.
- Upon delegation represents WHO at various meetings.
- Writes, edits, designs and commissions content for WHO's corporate social media channels, ensuring that content is accurate, accessible, informative and engaging.
- Monitors analytics and ensures robust measurement and evaluation of WHO's social media performance and engagement with key audiences. Applies lessons learnt to improve the content, promote engagement and retain interest.
- Provides appropriate guidance and support to Departments, Divisions and Offices for their social media presence regarding compliance with WHO House Style, brand and accessibility guidelines.
- Oversees media monitoring for the Department of Communications.
Essential: An advanced university degree in humanities, sciences, social science or a related field.
Essential: A minimum of 7 years of professional experience in the management of digital communications and related fields. Demonstrated experience leading a team and managing financial resources. Demonstrated experience at the international level.
Desirable: Experience of working on public health, development and humanitarian issues.
Advanced skills in the area of digital and social media content production, monitoring and evaluation.Knowledge of media monitoring. Ability in managing diverse teams and, as relevant, financial resources. Demonstrated ability to partner across a diverse Department and across to technical departments, offices and external stakeholders.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of another UN Language.
Salary: 73.516 USD/year