OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
To support and collaborate with the Member States for further development and implementation of national policies and strategies which ensure equitable and universal access to quality health care in the area of non-communicable diseases, social determinants of health and sustainable development and healthy environment. Non-communicable Diseases and Social Determinants of Health emphasizes on support to Member State efforts to effectively implement chronic diseases and lifestyle-related health programmes as well as on activities on health promotion and disease prevention to reduce health risks and advocate the role of social determinants of health. Sustainable Development and Healthy Environment emphasize the interactions between health and development, poverty, environmental degradation including water and air pollution, sanitation and natural and human-induced disasters.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the overall supervision and policy guidance of the Regional Director (RD) and under the direct supervision of the Director, Programme Management (DPM), the incumbent is responsible for:
- Directing, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating collaborative programmes with the Member States in the Region under the domain of Non-communicable Diseases, Sustainable Development and Healthy Environments including Social Determinants of Health, taking into account the WHO core functions, priorities and country health needs
- Harmonizing the work of WHO technical units in Regional Office for South-East Asia (SEARO), WHO Country Offices (WCOs), HQ, national authorities, other UN agencies, various donors, private sector and civil societies in the core areas of prevention and control of non-communicable diseases.
- Promoting and assuring intra- and inter-departmental teamwork including the WHO Collaborating Centres and National Centres of Excellence.
- Ensuring effective management of human and financial resources for programmes under his/her direct supervision.
- Supporting the DPM and the RD as part of the technical secretariat for the WHO Governing Bodies (World Health Assembly (WHA)/Executive Board (EB)/Regional Committee(RC)) and other important high-level meetings.
- Acting as RD or DPM or other Department Directors during their absence when so designated by the RD.
- Performing any other duties as deemed necessary.
Essential: Degree in medicine with a Postgraduate degree in public health or other health-related areas or disciplines
Essential: At least 15 years of experience at progressively responsible levels, of which minimum five years must be in an international setting, in planning and management of public health programmes and/or public health cooperation activities.
Desirable: Previous work experience in a multicultural environment or a UN/multilateral organization will be an advantage.
Thorough knowledge of WHO values, goals, policies, rules and regulations.
- In-depth knowledge of public health issues and health systems in the area of non-communicable diseases and social determinants of health.
- High level of technical and managerial competence with knowledge of planning, directing, monitoring and evaluating health and health-related programmes pertaining to the areas of work.
- Ability to exercise sound professional judgement.
- Leadership and supervision ability to foster team spirit and teamwork.
- Capability in programme planning, development, implementation, logistics, and/or monitoring and evaluation.
- Good computer literacy.
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Driving the Organization's Position in Health Leadership
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Salary: 100.800 USD/year